WPL: Breaking Boundaries for 50 Years!

  • 1877

    The Barron Library opens. It is the first free public library in Middlesex County and the fourth in the state of New Jersey.

  • 1913

    The Sewaren History Club and Sewaren Civic Association work together to open the Sewaren Free Public Library.

  • 1924

    The Woman's Club of Fords starts the Fords Library.

  • 1926

    The Avenel Free Public Library's trustees officially turn the building over to the library committee.

    The Iselin Library opens its doors.

  • 1939

    The Colonia Library at the intersection of New Dover and Chain O' Hills greets their first patrons.

  • 1943

    The Hopelawn Library is incorporated.

  • 1945

    The Port Reading Free Public Library opens at Second and Tappen streets.

  • 1963

    June. A report submitted to the Town Committee suggests "Woodbridge establish a Township wide library system."

    [More]
    November. The Library Referendum establishing a municipal library system passes overwhelmingly.

    December. The Free Public Library of Woodbridge is incorporated.
    [Top]

  • 1964

    January 2. Edwin P. Beckerman, first director of the new Woodbridge Library System, reports to work.

  • 1965

    The Central Library at 800 Rahway Avenue (formerly a hardware store and now Ariana's Grand restaurant) opens. The Barron Library is now a branch of the library system.

    [More]
    The Woodbridge Public Library receives Federal Depository Library status from the United States Government.
    [Top]

  • 1966

    September. The new Henry Inman branch opens to serve North Colonia.

  • 1967

    The Central Library is designated an Area Reference Center by the New Jersey State Library. The Main Library will hold this designation through the year 2000.

  • 1968

    April. The ribbon is cut to inaugurate the new Iselin Branch building on Green Street.

    November. The new Port Reading Branch opens.

  • 1970

    The Children's collection and services are moved from the Central Library to the Barron Branch.

  • 1972

    The newly constructed Fords Branch on Ford Avenue opens to the public.

  • 1974

    October 20. The new Main Library on George Frederick Plaza opens. The Central Library on Rahway Avenue closes and the Barron Library reverts to a neighborhood branch.

  • 1976

    The Barron Branch is turned over to the township and is converted to an arts center.

  • 1989

    The Woodbridge Library System becomes automated! The books are barcoded and the card catalogs are removed from the agencies.

  • 1991

    Ed Beckerman retires after 27 years as Director. Catherine Ann O'Connell steps into the position.

  • 1992

    The Friends of the Libraries of Woodbridge Township is formed.

    [More]
    The Woodbridge Library System is consolidated, strengthening services at the Main Library and the three largest branches: Fords, Henry Inman and Iselin.
    [Top]

  • 1995

    The public can now dial into the library system's catalog via modem.

  • 1996

    Catherine O'Connell resigns and Ed Beckerman returns as interim Director while a new Director is sought.

  • 1997

    John Hurley is appointed Director.

    The Woodbridge Library System adds public internet access to the services it offers the community.

  • 2006

    Wireless internet service is introduced at the Main and Branch libraries.

  • 2009

    New lights illuminate the Main Library and solar panels are installed on roof.

  • 2010

    The Woodbridge Public Library adds a different kind of book to its collection: Facebook!.

    John Hurley retires, and Christine Murchio is appointed Director.

  • 2011

    The Local History Archive Room is established at the Main Library.

  • 2012

    The Woodbridge Library system continues to help children dream big, welcoming over 2000 in the annual Summer Reading Club.

  • 2013

    Twitter adds @WoodbridgePLNJ to its nest.

    Patrons download 7,320 eBooks from the eBook and eAudiobook collections.

  • 2014

    AND BEYOND... The Woodbridge Library System continues to improve and strive to meet the informational, educational, cultural and leisure-time needs of our community.

World War I Fiction and Films
 

News